Garden Members Recipes
Yesterday, at the Community Gardens Open House, Laura Washington made this outta sight Salsa. Today, she shares her recipe here:
2 cups diced fresh pineapple
1 cup diced cherry yellow and red tomatoes
¾ cup chopped red onion
1-2 hot peppers chopped
¼ fresh parsley minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 ½ Tb light olive oil
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp sea salt
In a large bowl; add all 12 ingredients and lightly toss until well blended. Chill for 2 hours before serving. Serve with your favorite whole-grain tortilla chip. Serves 6-8 people.
Summer Tomato Sauce
In a medium bowl, blend the following:
2 large tomatoes, chopped
4 T olive oil
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
¼ cup finely chopped scallions
1 T fresh oregano
2 cloves garlic, grated
¼ t salt
Black pepper to taste
Cover and let sit, at room temperature for at least 3 hours.
Cook 1 pound of pasta. While pasta is hot, toss with the sauce.
Top with freshly grated parmesan.
Cat Harrold ENJOY!
(fresh garden veggies make the difference)!!
- 2 pounds tilapia fillets, finely diced* see Cook’s Note
- 1 cup lime juice (about 8 large limes)
- 1/2 cup seeded chopped tomato
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup clam-tomato juice (recommended: Clamato), optional
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce (recommended: Huichol), optional
- 1 serrano chile, optional
- Grilled Tostadas, recipe follows, or 6 purchased tostadas
- Mayonnaise, for spreading
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Put the tilapia in a medium bowl. Pour the lime juice over the fish and mix gently to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until the fish is white throughout, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from the refrigerator and drain off the lime juice, gently squeezing the fish with your hands. Discard the lime juice. Add the tomato, cucumber, onion, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the clam-tomato juice and the hot sauce and chile, if using.
Spread the tostadas generously with mayonnaise and top with the ceviche. Arrange the avocado slices on top of the ceviche and serve immediately with the lime wedges alongside.
The fish is easiest to dice when it is partially frozen; this also makes for a much cleaner presentation. Use a very sharp knife.
- 6 corn tortillas
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
Put the tortillas on the grill or grill pan, and let them dry out until they are crunchy. Purchased tostadas can be substituted.
Submitted by: Katy Jackson